Returning after CoViD, our annual Model Railway Exhibition will take place in the Engine House on Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd July 2022.
We will be open from 10:00 until 16:30 each day, and steam passenger trains will operate regularly between 10:30 and 15:30 on both days. Light refreshments will be available in our shop/café.
You can admire the models set amongst the real thing in our Engine House and you can travel on a full size steam train. There will also be the opportunity (for those 18 or over) to drive a full size diesel locomotive, as we will be operating 'Driver Experiences' on one of ours - when did you last do that at a Model Railway Exhibition? More details of these opportunities are given below.
With the exception of a 'Driver Experience', all areas of the exhibition and the train rides will be accessible to visitors with disabilities.
Exhibition/Engine House/Platform without train rides:
Exhibition/Engine House plus unlimited train rides:
We are expecting up to 9 layouts in a variety of scales: 0, 00, N, T & 009 at least. Layouts will include: Ribblehead (T), Lockden (009), Millfield Yard (N), Queens Road Depot (00), Little Aire (00) and Ethel Halt (0). Reminding us that model railways are fun too we have vintage Tri-ang OO and TT, and UK Train Sim Live will be presenting new technology for model railways. Traders will include Keith’s Model Railways, Helm Models & Hobbies, Leigh Models & Hobbies, Going Loco Models and some second hand tables.
This is an event for all the family - not just the modeller. When the non-modellers have exhausted the facilities we offer at Moor Road we have Middleton Park and Woods at the top of the line, the Tulip Retail Park is opposite and the White Rose Shopping Centre is just a short distance away. We pride ourselves on a welcome for all - come and experience it for yourselves.
If you need any further details of the exhibition, you can contact Ian Dobson (the exhibition organiser) by e-mail
The "driver experience" at this exhibition will give you the chance to drive one of our diesel locomotives for a short distance, up and down one of our sidings. This will be under instruction from one of our senior drivers, who will make sure that nothing can go wrong.
There are a number of special conditions that do have to apply to this, and these are as follows.
- For a "driver experience" you must be at least 18 years old, and not older than 76 years.
- You also need to be in reasonable health - at least up to the level that is required to drive a motor car - and at the time of the experience you must not be under the influence of either drink or drugs.
- No prior booking is needed: experiences will be available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- In return for the experience, donations are invited towards the ongoing work of the Middleton Railway: a minimum figure of £5 is requested, but if you are willing to donate more than this it will be much appreciated.
- You should wear suitable clothes, and reasonably stout shoes. We can then lend you a dustcoat for the duration of the experience.
Other pages of our web site will provide more information about: