We welcome enquiries from the travel trade about bringing tour parties to visit the Middleton Railway. We can easily accommodate such visits on days when we will be operating trains, as specified on our calendar of train services, but they do need to be booked in advance.
Advance booking is particularly important for any party on a day when we are running a special event, as these services can be very popular. These special events are indicated on the calendar of train services, and more details of them are given on a separate page.
With adequate notice we may also be able to arrange visits for tour parties on other days, when trains are not currently scheduled to be running, but special fares will apply to these. In particular, we have a range of special facilities that we can provide for school parties: more details of these are given on a separate page.
For a typical tour party we can offer the following facilities as standard:
- a train ride, behind either a steam locomotive or a diesel locomotive;
- a visit to the railway's museum;
- a reserved coach on the train for your party (which will be reserved exclusively if the party will consist of more than 20 people);
- free parking for a bus or coach;
- discounted fares for a party of 10 or more;
- hospitality for the organiser or coach driver, if they are not travelling with the party on the train;
- availability of our usual range of light refreshments;
- or, alternatively, by prior arrangement (and for an additional charge) a buffet provided specifically for the party.
Subject to the availability of suitably qualified volunteers, we may by prior arrangement also be able to offer any of the following facilities:
- a guided tour of the railway's museum;
- a talk on the history of the Middleton railway;
- a guided tour of the railway's workshops.
The pictures below illustrate the kind of space that is available in our car park for a bus or coach.
Our station at Moor Road is close to junction 5 on the M621, and there is easy road access to it for buses or coaches, with no low bridges, narrow roads or awkward junctions. More details are given in our How to Find Us page.
We are happy to arrange preview visits for party organisers.
Please note that, whilst every effort will be made to ensure that services run as arranged, including services for tour parties, the Railway reserves the right to cancel, alter or suspend any train without notice and no liability is accepted for any loss, inconvenience or delay caused.
To find about more about what we can offer, or to enquire about possible bookings, please email
Please note that, as the Railway is run entirely by volunteers, there may not always be somebody available to take your call. Please leave your name and telephone number (twice) and we will call you back at the earliest opportunity. This may be the next day on occasions.
For further information you can also use these links to go to other pages for: